วันพฤหัสบดีที่ 27 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2553

10. In Studley Constable

At ten o'clock on Saturday morning Molly rode to Hobs End. She had promised to wait until Devlin called her. But she was terrified for him: if he was caught dealing in the black market it could mean a heavy prison sentence.
She was still on horseback when she saw smoke rising from the cottage chimney. She hesitated. Liam was obviously at home. But if she went in he would be angry. She started to turn away.

In the barn, watched by Preston, the men were working on their guns and the lorry. Werner Briegel was looking through fieldglasses. Suddenly he exclaimed, "We're being watched!"
In a moment Preston was at his side. "I'll get her," he said, and ran out across the yard. As he came up to Molly, she turned and looked down at him in amazement.
"All right, let's have you." Preston reached for her and she tried to back her horse away.
"You let me alone. I haven't done anything."
He seized her wrist and pulled her out of the saddle. "We'll see about that." When she struggled, he threw her over his shoulder and carried her kicking and shouting to the barn.

Devlin had been showing Steiner the beach. They were almost back at the cottage when they saw Preston with the girl on his shoulder.
"Who is she?" Steiner demanded.
"Molly Prior, the girl I told you about." Devlin ran towards Preston. "Put her down, damn you!"
"I don't take orders from you," said Preston.
"Lieutenant Preston," Steiner called in a voice like iron, "you will let the lady go."
Unwillingly, Preston set Molly down. She immediately hit him in the face. "Keep your hands to yourself," she stormed at him.
There was laughter from the barn. She turned to see smiling faces, the lorry, a machine-gun. "Liam," she said, confused, "what's going on?"

It was Steiner who spoke, smooth as silk. "Lieutenant Preston, you will apologise to this young lady at once." Preston hesitated. "At once!"
"My apologies, madam," said Preston sourly, and went inside the barn.
Steiner turned to Molly. "I can't tell you how sorry I am about what has happened."
"This is Colonel Carter, Molly," Devlin told her, "of the Polish Independent Parachute Unit."
He took her arm and led her towards her horse.
"I don't understand," she said. "Soldiers here? And that lorry - and the gun?"
"Security, Molly. They're here for a very special reason. You'll find out when they've gone, but for now it's top secret. As you love me, promise not to mention them to anybody."
"I begin to see now," she said. "You let me think you were in the black market. But I was wrong. You're still in the army, aren't you?"
"Yes," he said with some truth. "I am."
Her eyes were shining. "Oh, Liam, can you ever forgive me thinking so p
oorly of you?"
Devlin managed a smile. "I'll think about it. Now go home and wait until I call, no matter how long."
"I will, Liam. And I won't say a word." She kissed him, swung into the saddle and rode off.
As Devlin went into the barn, Preston said, "Now we all know what you've been up to the past few weeks. Was it nice, Devlin?"
Devlin hit Preston once, knocking him down. Then Steiner had him by the arm.
"I'll kill him!" Devlin said.
"Go up to the cottage," Steiner said calmly. "I'll handle it."
There was murder in Devlin's white face. But he went out. As Preston got up, Steiner said, "Be warned, Preston. Step out of line once more and if Devlin does
n't, I'll shoot you myself."


Two hours later Philip Vereker went down to the cellar of his house. There he opened an ancient oak cupboard, stepped inside and closed the door. He switched on his torch and felt for a hidden catch. The back of the cupboard swung open to show a long, dark tunnel.

Linking the priest's house with the church, this tunnel was built in the sixteenth century, when priests could die for practising their religion. Its secret was handed down from priest to priest Vereker found it very convenient.
At the end of the tunnel he paused in surprise. Someone was playing the organ, very well indeeded. He opened the secret door and entered the church. At the organ he saw a soldier in jump jacket.
Hans Altmann was enjoying himself. A fine instrument, a lovely church. But when he saw Vereker, he stopped playing.
"I'm sorry, Father, I couldn't help myself." His English was excellent but clearly foreign.
Vereker said, "Who are you?"
"Sergeant Emil Janowski, Father. I came here looking for you with my commanding officer. As you weren't here, he told me to wait while he tried your house."
At that moment Steiner entered and came up to them. "Father Vereker?" he said.
"That's right."
"Howard Carter, in command Independent Polish Parachute Unit." He looked round the building. "This is really beautiful."
Vereker, who loved his church, gave one of his rare smiles. "What can I do for you?"
"Put us up for the night if you will, Father. I see you have a barn in the field next door. We're on exercise, just till tomorrow morning. I'll probably give the men a few training exercises round the village. You don't think anyone will mind?"
Vereker smiled again, completely unsuspicious. "Studley Constable has been used for military exercises many times before, Colonel. We'll all be happy to help in any way we can."

When his men were all gathered in the old church barn, Steiner spoke to them.
"So far, so good. From now on we've got to make everythink look as natural as possible. First, cook a meal. Afterwards some field training. That's what people will expect to see. Another thing: be careful never to be heard speaking German. If people try to speak to you, pretend you don't understand, even if you've got good English. And remember, it will be dark by six. We have only to look busy till then."

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น